By Michael Sito

By Michael Sito

Friday, November 23, 2018

An Afternoon in the Drunk Tank in Kyiv-


An Afternoon in the Drunk Tank in Kyiv-



Within a few minutes we pulled up to a police station.  We got out of the car and they brought me in.  We went through a few rooms with cops everywhere and came up to a window.  The cop behind the glass asked for my passport.  I gave it over and he started leafing through it.  Since I was entering a new, previously unknown, phase of police harassment, I decided to call Polina, our office manager.  I wasn’t in a hurry or too worried, but I didn’t want to get lost in the bureaucracy of a police station in northern Kiev without anyone knowing where I was.  I told the police to wait a minute and made a call on my cell phone.  Polina answered almost immediately, but with a voice that betrayed the fact that she didn’t want to be bothered by me once again over a weekend.  We spoke in English, which the cops couldn’t understand at all. 

“Hi Michael.”

“Hi Polina.  I think I may have a small problem.  I’m at a police station in Podil and the cops just took my passport.”

“YOU’RE AT POLICE STATION!  OH MY GOD- WHAT HAPPENING?”  

Well, that clearly got her attention. 

“Please don’t worry, everything is fine.  They are just harassing me for a bribe that I won’t pay.  Maybe you can talk to them and tell them I work for a Ukrainian company and that I’m supposed to be here?”

“OH YES, OH MY GOD.  PUT THE PHONE TO THEM.”  I felt a warmth rising inside me that she cared so much about me.  Polina earned some good points with me because of this reaction. 

“Polina, please relax.  Everything is fine.  I told you in the office that this happens to me all the time here.  It’s because of my skin color.  You know as well as I do that my papers are in order.  Here’s the cop.  Don’t be nervous, just tell this guy that I work for the bank and I am supposed to be here.  Please breathe and be calm.”  I heard her take a deep breath.

“Ok Michael.”

I handed the phone under the glass to the copper.  He took it and they had a conversation.  A few minutes went by and then he hung up the phone and handed it back.  I was about to call her to see what the hell was going on when the cop who spoke with Polina started talking to the cops that brought me in.  I didn’t understand it, but they did.  They immediately brought me to a back room. 

Once there, they opened a green wooden door with a fogged out glass pane in it and pushed me into a dark room.  The door immediately shut and the lock turned behind me.  I turned on my phone to make a call, but I had lost the signal.  Bastards- I thought to myself. 

I looked around the room.  It was a holding cell about six feet wide and eight feet long.  There was a small bench that ran around the perimeter of the room for people to sit on.  The room had four other people in there with me.  All of them looked homeless and drunk.  All but one of them were passed out.  It smelled of terrible body odor mixed with urine, vomit and feces.  The holding cell was as dirty as my fellow inmates.  The only light was what made it through the fogged out glass in the door, which was also covered in a thick layer of filth.  Needless to say, it was pretty dark in there. 

After a few minutes, my eyes adjusted and I could see pretty well.  I sat down on the bench near the door.  This was before mobile phones had flashlights or anything, so I just sat there and thought about what was happening to me, the room itself, the foul stench and the people I was now surrounded by.  I also wondered if there were roaches in there with us.  There had to be.  All the people looked broken, tired and lost.  The one other guy who was awake immediately came over and sat next to me.  He was very close and his aroma of body odor, piss and vomit overpowered the general smell of the place.  It wasn’t very pleasant. 

He leaned on me, put his hand on my shoulder and said something in slurred, heavily accented Russian.  I had no idea what he said, but I looked him straight in the eyes.  He was dark skinned like me, most probably from Georgia or the Caucus.  I felt for him and his predicament.  These fellows were the underside of society.  The ones that embraced alcoholism to get through the economic hardship and racism that constantly confronted them amid the chaos of the social and economic transition that was taking pace all around them.    

“I don’t speak Russia very good.”  I said to him in my Russian.

He held my gaze and repeated slowly, “Yes, yes. What happened?  Why are you here?”

“Police.  They want my money.  I will not pay them.”  I replied in my broken Russian.  He smiled and shook his head up and down.

“We have the same problem.”

“I don’t think so, but who knows.”  Was all I could say.  At this point he was leaning into me with his hand on my shoulder.  The disposable 35mm camera I had in my coat pocket was on his side, so he was pushing it into my upper kidney.  This gave me an idea.  I pushed him off me, gently of course, and took out the camera.  It had a flash on it, so I turned it on and waited for the light to turn orange to indicate that it was ready.  How great it would be to document this experience with some photos I thought.  It was good luck that I brought this camera with me this morning.  I put my arm around the bum next to me, held the camera away at arms length, put on a big toothy smile and took the shot.  The flash burst out like lightening.  I rolled it to the next frame, waited for the flash and then took another of my new friend and me.  Then I took one of the two guys passed out directly in front of me.  Each time the room erupted in light and now everyone was awake and staring at me.  I was laughing and having fun.  My friend to my right was also loving it.  I took a shot of him laughing.  I guess that was too much for the cops though, as they noticed the flash going off and after the last one, a cop opened the door with a scowl demanding to know what was going on.

“Photos.  I’m just doing some photos.”  I said meekly pointing to my camera.  I didn’t know the word for taking photos, so I used doing, which could maybe be translated as making I thought.  The cop wasn’t happy.  All the bums were enjoying this thoroughly though and with the door opened I could see that none of them had many teeth and they really were totally filthy.  My heart felt for them again.  The cop’s didn’t.  He yelled at everyone to shut up and be quiet.  He took my camera and shut the door forcibly.  

“Whores!” my bum said to me referring to the cops. 

“Da, it fucked up (pizdyets).”  I said in agreement.  I had recently learned some bad words in Russian and this seemed like the right place to try them out in conversation for the first time.  My bum loved it- he laughed and again put his arm on my shoulder in an open display of camaraderie. 

After another ten or twenty minutes, the door opened again and the cop motioned for me to get up and follow him.  I shook the hand of the guy next to me and wished him luck and then got up and started walking out of the holding cell while saying “goodbye” and waving to the others.  The cop looked quite confused by this display of friendship and respect for my fellow prisoners.  Once out of the cell, he locked the door, handed me my camera and I followed him back to the front area where the guy at the window had taken my passport earlier.

Once there I saw Yuri, our head of research.  My heart sunk.  I had no idea Polina would make this a five alarm fire.  Yuri looked really nervous and concerned, but once I spoke to him I realized it was just a general fear of his of dealing with the corrupt police.  I went to the window, the guy behind it handed my passport back and we were free to go. 

I asked Yuri what happened.  He said that the cops told Polina that someone from my office had to come get me and since my boss was back in Prague for the weekend, she called him.  He also said that he had to pay forty Hrvnyas (UAH 40) as a fine.  That equaled about $20 and I flipped out. 

“A fine for what?  I didn’t do anything wrong!”  I said with shock and anger.

“Michael, it's forty Hrvnyas.  It’s nothing.  This is how the country works.”

“It’s not right and I didn’t want to pay them anything- that’s why I got arrested in the first place- I didn’t do anything wrong!” 

“The police will use it to buy vodka and cigarettes.  It’s the way it is.”  And with that, Yuri was done with this topic and didn’t want to talk about it.  He wanted to go back to his family and day off.  I gave him the UAH 40 as we walked to his car.  He offered me a ride, but I didn’t want to hassle him and told him I would rather walk.  He insisted on taking me home fearing I would get in trouble again.  I didn’t want to make a scene and who knows, maybe the original police that hassled me were still patrolling the neighborhood, so I got into his car to avoid a confrontation.

Once back at my apartment, we said goodbye and I apologized again for bothering him on a Sunday.  He drove off.  When I was back in the friendly confines of my apartment I was still upset that Yuri didn’t fight the fine, but it was too late now.  I opened a bottle of wine and kicked back on my couch to digest this latest run in with the Kiev police.


###




Hey Readers!  Want another tale from Ukraine in the early days?   Here you go!  

https://libertinereflections.blogspot.com/2017/12/the-benefits-of-having-positive.html




                        ### 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent/Popular Posts (Pls see Archive by Date on left for full history)